Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Tending the Heart of Virtue

Sorry for the long delay.

I recently read a book called "Tending the Heart of Virtue" about how fairy tales such as the original pinocchio and narnia help our children learn about good and evil. Neat book. I enjoyed it.

"Mere instruction in morality is not sufficient to nurture the virtues. It might even backfire, especially when the presentation is heavily exhortative and the pupil's will is coerced. Instead a compelling vision of the goodness of goodness itself needs to be presented in a way that is attractive and stirs the imagination." (pg. 20)

I love the idea of a "compelling vision of the goodness of goodness itself." I want to present that to my children through living books, my example (sinful though it is), stories and heroes. Read your children a good book today!

0 comments: