Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I need to turn off the media!




My boys enjoying quiet book time with a slew of library books

The article linked below sums up so much of what my heart knows and is calling me to regarding media, phone etc.

http://www.homeschoolmarketplace.com/e-zines/ejournalaug1611.html

"Scientists say when we juggle many things at once, our ability to focus is being undermined by bursts of information. These affect parts of the brain that control primitive impulses to respond to immediate opportunities and threats. The stimulation provokes excitement — the release of a “dopamine squirt” that researchers say can be addictive. In its absence, people feel bored."

Convicting! I do feel bored when not distracted by something, mainly my phone. Dopamine withdrawal. Ugga. Changes a'coming!

1 comments:

along the way said...

Parkinson's Disease is caused by insufficient dopamine production in the brain. Maybe Morgan needs to juggle a few more things! I'm thinking of a list for him as I write!