Note: please follow your recipe, the preservation and long-term storage success depends on it. I used the "ball canning book" that was on sale next to the "ball canning jars." What a happy coincidence. Hehe
So here's how we canned fresh peaches:
1. Dip ripe peaches into boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
2. Drain and peel peaches. If peaches were very ripe, the skin just comes off easily in your hands. I didn't believe it when I read it, but it really is true!
3. Cut peaches in half, remove pit. Treat with "ball fruit fresh" according to direction to prevent darkening. (check back with me in 6 months to see if it worked!)
4. Make a light syrup with sugar and water according to recipe.
5. Pack peaches into hot, sterilized jar.
6. Fill with hot syrup, leaving space at top according to your recipe.
7. Put in boiling water bath canner for time specified.
8. Carefully remove and set aside for 12-24 hours to seal.
9. Eat on waffles with whipped cream!
Learning new things keeps the complex brains God gave us fresh, engaged and challenged. Of course, it also encourages your children to see you work at learning just like they do. What will you learn this week?