Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Book Review

Hi Friends!

I signed up to be a book reviewer for Thomas Nelson Publishers, so here is my first review.

The Wackiest, Wildest, Weirdest Animals in the World by Jack Hanna

This book is a children's book that could be appreciated by ages 2 to 10 or so. There is a one page spread per animal. Each page includes "Wacky Facts" which are basically the stats for that animal, as well as a a funny story and some interesting tidbits.

I enjoyed several things about this book. First of all, included with the book is a DVD with bloopers and behind the scenes of Jack Hanna's adventures. My favorite part of this book is the photography. There are several photographs of each animals, one very large taking up most of the page. This is fascinating and enticing for any child to look at. Both of my "pre-readers" enjoyed and carefully studied the photographs of each animal. I also liked that this is not a huge book. It is 33 pages long, which makes it feel like a Children's Picture Book rather than a reference book.

Now here's the flip-side. Even though I appreciate the photographs, I believe that the pages are too busy. There are several "layers" of information with small boxes and such. It is arranged artistically, in that they are different colors and tilts. The overall effect is overwhelming and a bit much.

0 comments: